Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Bio-oil

The pimple-like raised bumps on my arms recently got worse. In a desperate bid to find out what that condition was, I called a few dermatological clinics. And did extensive research. Thank God those dermatological clinics hadn't picked up. If not I would have wasted another few hundred bucks. Spending money without thinking (otherwise known as splurging :( ) is something I do very well. 

I found out the name of this unsightly condition: Keratosis Pilaris. Sounds horrid, and indeed, while the condition is hardly debilitating or life-threatening, it is horrid. 
Keratosis pilaris is a common skin condition in which a protein in the skin called keratin forms hard plugs within hair follicles. (Source: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov) 
So...I read that it is genetic? Why is it nobody else in my family has it? Again, I'm afflicted with things nobody else has (like high IQ. Just kidding!). 

I briefly tried Bio-Oil on the affected areas before my walk-in interview, and amazingly, my friend commented that the bumps had cleared up! Of course there are brown scars, but at least they aren't raised anymore.

But as you can tell from the size of my massive arm, I tend to get lazy after some time. Since I got into the said company, I've been letting myself go. Like what I said I would do in the first post. Not only have I been eating with a vengeance, I have also relaxed the hitherto strict skincare routine and stopped moisturising almost altogether. Bad, bad. But since I'm starting training in exactly three weeks, I'd better get my act together or they would realise what a gross-looking slob I am. 

Since Bio-Oil gave me a glimmer of hope, I shall test it for real once more. 


Before: Picture taken on the 8th of March, 2012.

Note the little red raised bumps. They feel like pimples and they even look like pimples. I enjoy squeezing them. Very often, small little oil plugs come out. But they'd mostly come out halfway and remain firmly lodged in the inflamed hive. There are brown spots too, but my iphone camera doesn't capture those well. I don't think my condition is as bad as most of the sufferers of Keratosis Pilaris who posted their pictures online, but I'm pretty sure it's Keratosis Pilaris. Maybe I'll ask a dermatologist next time. (Truth is, I probably wouldn't. I'm too ashamed to show my marred skin.)
I'll monitor the situation and post pictures of the affected area in a week.
                                       
                                             After: Picture taken on 13th of March, 2012
As you can see, the affected area has more or less cleared up.There are still light brown marks but I'm very satisfied with the results. I'll continue to use it continuously for two months, as instructed on the label, and check if the brown pigments clear up. I know my skin looks darker in the 'After' picture. I have no idea why! Perhaps cause I've been walking in the sun without sunblock.

Review of Product: 8/ 10
Pros: 
  1. Relatively cheap
  2. Oil is easily absorbed into skin and skin feels smooth for a few hours after. I have chronically dry skin, so I'm sure results will vary from person to person.

Cons: 
  1. Cloying, artificial scent that screams "Artificial Parfum". The scent lingers on your body for the whole day. I think it smells really cheap, like scented mineral oil. 
  2. Small bottle that doesn't last long, but Hey! If it works, I'm not complaining.
That said, I'll monitor this product for a month more, and see if it causes breakouts. For women, hormones are the main cause of breakouts many a time, so I'd look to see if this oil can withstand the hormone fluctuations that we undergo during our menstrual cycle.

2 comments:

  1. I think it did.. My arms are no longer brown and scarred. Somehow it helped with evening the skin tone for the brown scars and I still do have bumps but much fewer (I'm counting them now, around five on each arm? And they're much smaller)

    ReplyDelete