Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Cold Rash = Cold Urticaria

Now I know what those hive-like rashes that appear when I go to wintry countries is called.
By the editors of Health, an excerpt from Health, January/February 2005:

Q: Sometimes when I go walking in the winter, I get an itchy, bumpy rash on my arms. Am I allergic to cold weather, or what?

A: Your skin might just be parched by the drier, seasonal air. But there is something allergists call acquired cold urticaria, where a drop in temperature triggers your immune system, causing itchy hives. Even though the symptoms might seem mild, in rare cases they could progress to anaphylactic shock, says David R. Weldon, MD, a member of the urticarial committee of American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. An allergist can confirm if you're reacting to a drop in the mercury (and not, for example, the lining of your winter coat).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment